Sunday, March 21, 2010

Tasting Notes: Willamette Valley Vineyards 2007 Pinot Noir

This Oregon pinot has a lovely transluscent dark, ruby-red color, belying its very light body. On the nose, not very giving and slightly earthy. On the palate, it has a lively acidity with pronounced cherry and tobacco on the front end and no discernible tannins on the back end. Quite soft but for the pique of acidity which I like. The finish... well... reminded me of this guy




and this little song. only you know...with a short tail. Get it...heh, heh. Short tail. I kill myself!

So Ima stick it in the fridge, stick it in the fridge, stick it.... oh you know.

In the meantime, I decided to pair it with my pizza of chicken, artichoke hearts, roasted red peppers, kalamata olives, feta, herbs, and a light drizzle of some organic CA extra virgin olive oil and a very light shake of red pepper flakes. (and yes... it IS delicious!) The wine's forward fruit and bright acidity paired very nicely with my pizza and quite frankly sloshed down VERY easily and happily.

Ok. So the wine is now cave temp or so. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand THERE it is! The zen of STRUCTURE! Wahooooooooooo! I love it when I'm right! Serve this one at cave temperature people. It makes all the difference in the world. (well at least for me) This wine went from soft, flabby and a little hot (alcohol-wise) with no finish to speak of to being just lovely. Now the nice characteristics it had on my first go remain... the lovely cherry and tobacco notes, but now it is not flabby and soft at all, but rather has good structure and the acidity is really well balanced with the fruit.



The nice folks at Willamette Valley Vineyards provided me with a sample. You can find it for around $20 retail.

4 comments:

  1. I did like this one quite a bit once I got it down to cave temp. I can't wait to try the Reserve!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should also say that my exposure to Oregon Pinot Noir is severely limited. I had some preconceived notions that were definitely dispelled by this lovely, light pn. I was expecting (why, I'm not entirely certain) something huge, parker-esque somehow. Pleasantly surprised and now more than willing to try more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Cuvee was my favorite. A bit more spendy but worth it for special occasions.

    Josh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wine Ophelia logo and wine zen photo editing credits to my sweet daughter who is a total WHIZ at anything art/design.

    ReplyDelete